Waiting Period means a period, starting from the effective date of a policy, during which premiums are payable but claims resulting from any sickness will be not eligible for reimbursement. Any sickness that manifests itself during the waiting period is not covered even if related expenses are incurred after the waiting period. A waiting period will apply if you:
- purchase this policy after your arrival date or
- fail to properly notify us of your actual arrival date (as explained in Your Coverage Starts); or
- decrease your deductible amount or change from Standard to Stable Chronic Condition coverage rates or increase your aggregate policy limit when you purchase consecutive policies with no ga between the expiry date of the previous policy and the effective date of the subsequent policy
The following waiting periods apply in the above circumstances:
- If you are age 85 or under and within the first 30 days after your arrival date: you purchased or activated this policy, or failed to properly notify 21st Century (as explained in Your Coverage Starts) the waiting period is 72 hours;.
- if you are age 85 or under and 31 or more days after your arrival date: you purchased or activated this policy, or failed to properly notify 21st Century (as explained in Your Coverage Starts) the waiting period is 7 days.
- if age 86 or older, the waiting period is 15 days.
The waiting period will be waived if this policy:
- is purchased or activated on or prior to the expiry date of an existing Visitors to Canada policy already issued by us to take effect on the day following such expiry date, provided there is no increase in the aggregate policy limit or decrease in the deductible amount and there is no change from Standard to Stable Chronic Condition coverage rates; or
- is purchased prior to your arrival date (unless you failed to notify 21st Century (as explained in Your Coverage Starts); or
- we specifically waive or modify the the waiting period.
If you have coverage with another insurer during the first part of your trip, and you are purchasing or activating this insurance after your arrival date and there will be no gap in your coverage, you may submit a Special Consideration Form and request to have the waiting period waived. You must be in good health and provide proof satisfactory to us that you have other coverage in force prior to purchasing this policy and receive written approval from us.